Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Nieve - I'll ride for Sky in 2014















Mikel Nieve has - entirely as expected - confirmed he'll be riding for Team Sky in 2014 and beyond.

The 29-year-old has been heavily linked with the British powerhouse squad in the last few weeks and today revealed he's indeed decided to sign for David Brailsford's team.

The two parties have agreed on a two-year deal, and the only thing that's lacking in order to make it official is the rider's signature.

"I've opted to go to Sky", he told el Diario de Navarra, according to BiciCiclismo. "I still haven't signed the documents as I have to see what happens with my contract with Euskaltel, but we've decided on a deal for 2014 and 2015.

"I'd already made my mind up on signing for Sky before Fernando Alonso entered the scene".

The ace climber reportedly had a host of suitors lined up for him, but talks with a fellow Basque swayed him in direction of Sky.

"I've spoken a lot to Xabier Zandio about this", he said. "He told me a lot of good things about the team. I've as well spoken to the team itself. It seems like the best option, and I'll be signing for them because it's the best team in the world".

Nieve has excelled in a leadership role for Euskaltel ever since his breakthrough marathon win on stage 16 of the Vuelta a España's 2010 edition.

At Sky he'll team up with the likes of Christopher Froome and Bradley Wiggins, though, and he's fully aware of the fact that he'll first and foremost be a super domestique.

"I know I'll be tasked with working for others and that I'll be going to a team where I can help out in the mountain stages. I'm aware it'll be a different kind of racing and that things will be different, but I think it'll be good for me - it's the best team there is and I can grow as a rider there".

Nieve signed for Euskaltel from satellite team Orbea in the winter of 2009, going on to become one of the team's most valuable riders. His palmarès includes queen-stage wins in both the Giro d'Italia and the Vuelta a España.

Photo: Iñaki Azanza

2 comments:

laurencear said...

good news.... hopefully good things for 2014

Stephen said...

I look forward to Sky getting him 'race fit' before he pins on a number, he seems to take until the third week of a GT before he starts to show his quality, I'm sure that Sky will work him a lot harder - or smarter - than before which may be to his advantage. (and the money they can spend on training camps etc will certainly help)

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers